As Cascade Park finalized its growth and development Vancouver’s growth continued to expand to the East. This eastern growth is what we know as Fisher’s Landing. Fisher’s Landing covers the area East of SE 164th Avenue, South of Mill Plain, all the way down to the Columbia River and is bound on eastern most side at SE 192nd Avenue.
The following excerpt is taken from the Waymarking website:
Solomon Welton Fisher, his brothers and sisters along with William Mortimer Simmons, Ann Fisher Simmons and their children had traveled westward from West Virginia. They left Missouri in the spring of 1850 by covered wagons pulled by oxen, heading for the gold fields of California. After meeting so many discouraged gold seekers, they headed toward the Oregon Country instead.
Simmons took out a Donation Land Claim east of present-day 164th Avenue. Fisher took out a Donation Land Claim west of 164th Avenue.
They founded Fisher community (see Clark County Heritage Site board). The town had a post office, blacksmith shop, general store, one-room schoolhouse with grades 1-8, and early grange. Later a church was built.
Solomon W. Fisher, a bachelor, was a trader and the first postmaster at the crossroads. He operated the post office from 1858 until 1870 when it closed. In 1881, the post office was opened, again with Fisher as postmaster. It was named Fisher’s, and in 1894 the name was shortened to Fisher. The post office was closed in 1917.
Fisher established a riverboat landing. Wood was cut for fuel for the river steamers. Several steamers stopped every day at the landing to take on cord wood.
William M. Simmons, a family man, was a farmer. He built a two-story house with a large, central brick chimney with four fireplaces. The lumber was cut at Hudson’s Bay Company sawmill and towed upriver to the landing. He had a large fruit orchard with all types of apples, pears, peaches, prunes, walnuts and grapes.
A riverboat landing was built on Simmons riverfront property about present-day 17200 SE Evergreen Highway. Simmons rented it to Remington who sold wood stacked high along the landing to river steamers for 85 cents a cord for fuel.
Imagine if they had continued on to California… It makes me wonder how that area would have been different if they hadn’t been there.